Sunday, October 23, 2011

Save A Sister


Me and my girls had a busy day on Saturday.  We were up at 7 AM and on our way to St. George for the breast cancer walk called "Save a Sister"  I've already lost one so I was all for trying to save the rest of them.  And thanks to Richa for telling me about it!  It was an emotional morning for me.  I was glad to be with my girls and I'm glad I was pushing the stroller so they couldn't see me crying.  I don't know why I do this to myself.  I can keep it together most of the time, but when I get around all these women who are wearing their pink survivors shirts, it just reminds me that my mom and my sister didn't survive.  I hate cancer!!!  I hate what it does to families.  I hate that my nephews grew up at such a young age without their mom, and now they are experiencing the best days of their life without her.  I know that people say they are always with us in spirit, but quite honestly, that just doesn't cut it.  I am a firm believer in the resurrection.  I know I will see my mom and my sister again, but I am so selfish because I wish I could see them now!  I wish my mom had been around for my wedding and all my babies being born.  I know she would have come and stayed with me those first few trying weeks and taken such good care of me.  We could have sat and talked for hours.  We could have scrapbooked together and done some geneology.  I just really hate breast cancer.  And I am kind of mad at my sister because I didn't know she was as sick as she was.  She was so good at putting on a happy face.  She didn't want people to know how bad it was.   I didn't see her at Christmas that year but we were going up for New Year's.  I got the call the day before we were headed to Idaho and I couldn't believe it.  I just said, "No!  I'm coming, I was coming" but I was too late.  I never got to say goodbye.  I'm not really mad at her.  The signs were all there, I just chose not to see them.  So I guess I'm really mad at myself for not being there at Christmas.  Anyway, I think you get the point that I am not very fond of cancer.  We have a Hate-Hate relationship.
So I guess if I can get up a little early on a Saturday and walk to try and help find a cure, I'll do it!  And I will keep doing it because cancer isn't going to win this fight!

2 comments:

J'me Shillig said...

Bless you! You poor girl. I can't imagine losing BOTH your mom and sister. How did I not know that? You're doing a good thing and are a fantastic mother. I wish there was more we could do! Love you guys.

Jen Wade said...

I didn't know this either, I'm so sorry!! It is hard, I have done the Race for the cure before, it was one of the coolest things, my grandma is a breast cancer survivor and my Aunt is not, died because of it, my other grandma also died of Cancer, started with a brain tumor and eventually turned into bone cancer, she went fast! Cancer does suck and it seems to be all around us! Scary!! It's good to participate in such events, it helps us heal, good for you! Love and Prayers your way my friend!!!

Powered By Blogger