Friday, June 20, 2008

Trek Adventure

You can't see this picture very well, but this is the day we came home from Trek. It was a great experience, one I won't soon forget. We had eleven kids in our family and they were all very good. Our first day out, we walked just over eight miles. The next day, walked 11. Our kids were so good to help and not complain. I was truly impressed by them. If it weren't for the blisters on my feet, I would have done really well, but as it was, my shoes shrank! I tried to put them on that second day and they didn
t fit me. I joked with my kids that I took it upon myself to get a blister for each one of them. There were several kids along the way that had to get IV's and other medical attention, but we got lucky. Trent would squirt the kids with his water bottle and we would make them drink a cup of gatorade a few times throughout the day. We were really blessed with a good Trek family. As we have been home for almost a week, I have caught myself thinking about them and what they are doing this summer. I was very nervous about being a "Ma" to kids I didn't know, but we all seemed to get along really well. I would do it again in a heart beat!

My love and respect of the pioneers has deepend so much because of this experience. They endured to the end. They had faith, great faith, to leave most of their possessions and walk to an unknown destination day after day. When my blisters really got hurting, I told myself to buck up because some of those pioneers walked barefoot in the snow leaving bloody tracks-I surely could handle a few blisters. I ended up riding the horse the last few miles. I felt so guilty, I wanted to be with my family to the very end. It was hard and it was hot, but I will never regret going. It was well worth my time to experience just a little bit of what those early pioneers went through so that we could enjoy all the blessings the gospel has to offer. WE all need to be grateful to them, even if we didn't have actual family members walk because without them and the pesecutions they went through, we wouldn't have all the blessings the gospel provides us.

5 comments:

Jen said...

You are a better women than me, Jenny. I had the chance to go on a trek when I was in YW's, (not a leader, but when I was 18) but I had to work and I didn't try that hard to get out of it.

They make our ward in Lander go 30 miles! I'm thankful for what I have now, because of the pioneers!

Wish I could see you picture better.

Jen said...

Oh my word! I can't spell! I meant to say - not as a leader and your picture.

I'm a tard.

Wendy said...

that's truly amazing!!You are an awesome woman!! Lucky to bloom where you are planted!! We never even had a chance to do any of that at least not that I can remember!! That's something I would have remembered too. okay maybe not I can't remember lots of things these days but I think that I would have remembered!!

Jen Wade said...

Hey guys
I've always wanted to do that havent yet had the opportunity, I'm so glad it went well, I can see how it would be fun and such a testimony builder, I totally had anscestors come acrooss the plains one even in the mormon battalion, I've always had a deep respect and much gratitude for those who came before us but that would make it more real... I bet the kids just loved you guys too, they were lucky to have you as ma & pa... good job guys... hope all is going well, good to see a new post...

jenreb said...

I think we walked just over 32 miles! We were gone for four days, I left the last two days out. For Trek in the Moapa Stake, they pushed the handcarts down mainstreet for two hours and called it good. They didn't even dress in pioneer clothes-they suck!

Powered By Blogger